Monday May 9, 2022
Pros and Cons of Having HOA
When searching for a new location to buy a home, you may find several types of townhomes, condos, or communities with HOA’s (Homeowner’s Associations). HOA’s are volunteer organizations within committees designed to create a cohesive environment for the local homeowners. Here are some of the advantages and drawbacks of an HOA:
- Your home’s value will increase- The rules set by your homeowner association can help improve the value of homes around the neighborhood. For instance, they may enforce maintenance and home design rules to maintain homes’ curb appeal.
- Access to amenities- Most HOAs establish facilities like children’s play areas, clubhouses, fitness centers, swimming pools, and parks. These amenities offer convenience and are cheaper than paying for similar services elsewhere.
- Dispute resolution- Having an HOA membership helps reduce and solve cleaning, parking, and other types of disputes. Your Homeowner’s Association’s management will listen to your concerns and create a regulation to prevent similar incidents in the future.
- Shared maintenance costs- In most scenarios, HOA dues are used to pay for services like snow removal, lawn care, and maintenances of fitness centers and pools.
- HOA dues- Homeowners must include the Homeowner’s Association’s fees in their yearly or monthly budget. Some of the expenses include special assessment fees and capital improvement fees that are used for maintaining the common areas and community amenities like the clubhouse, pool, playground, etc.
- Restrictive rules- Most homeowners that have HOA memberships feel like the HOA rules restrict their freedom. Some restrictions include limiting paint colors and maintaining a specific lawn maintenance schedule.
Some HOA rules can prevent you from installing solar panels or require homeowners to install video doorbells. However, you can petition the HOA to change the rules you disagree with. Many associations are put in place by the residents and homeowners can make changes to the rules and regulations if the majority agrees.
Be Part of Landmark 24 Homes Community Today
Are you seeking to move to a new location but not sure where to start? Check out our website to learn more about our communities and available homes.