Tuesday February 9, 2021
Area rugs are an absolute necessity for any home with an open floor plan. These rugs not only define space without restricting it but also enhance your home's overall decor. They are available in all shapes, sizes, colors, and styles to make it easy for you to pick the one that works best in your home.
Colors and Patterns
Experts caution against trying to pick a rug that's the exact same color as your wall and/or furnishings. Instead, choose one with similar or complementary colors to bring out the beauty in your existing decor.
Dark colors and patterns are ideal for large, spacious areas and/or areas that get a lot of foot traffic. Light colors and patterns give a room a bright, spacious look and feel.
Shapes and Sizes
Rectangular and square rugs are ideal for many spaces. This is especially true if you have a square or rectangular table or living room furniture set-up.
On the other hand, don't discount round area rugs. They're great for circular rooms and ideal for under round dining room tables.
A common mistake many homeowners make is selecting a rug that is too small for the space in question. Measure the area and bring a measuring tape with you when you shop. When buying a rug online, double-check the measurements and make sure you'll be able to send it back if the rug isn't the right size.
There are many points to consider when selecting a rug material. These include:
- Is the rug easy to clean? Some materials can be washed in the washing machine; others must be cleaned by a professional.
- Is the rug durable? Some materials are flammable, others aren't water-resistant, while still others are prone to shedding.
- What's the price? Wool and silk rugs may be beautiful, but the cost can be prohibitive.
- Will the rug cause or exacerbate allergies? If you have hay fever or other allergies, avoid large-pile rugs that can cause discomfort and health problems.
- Is the rug suitable for the climate? Warm rugs are ideal for the cold, winter months. However, homeowners in warm climates may want a short pile rug that doesn't trap heat.
As you can see, there is no one type of area rug that is better than all others. Consider your situation and then select the rug that best fits your home.
Landmark 24 offers homes in various sizes, styles, and price points in Savannah, Richmond Hill, Pooler, and Brunswick, Georgia. Get in touch with us to find a perfect home with an ideal open floor plan that will not only meet your needs but even exceed your expectations.