Monday June 1, 2020
Buying a new home is an exciting time. However, it’s not just about paint colors and furniture shopping. There are things you must do when moving into a new home to stay organized and be prepared in case an emergency arises. Here are some key things that every new homeowner should do.
Information That You Need to Obtain
- Make a binder with things like important instructions, manuals and appliance warranties.
- Put together a list of contact information for all your utility companies (and include your account numbers).
- Take the time to introduce yourself to your neighbors and get their contact information in case of an emergency.
- If you have pets, do some research and choose a local veterinarian. Keep that number handy, along with other important pet information, such as proof of rabies shot and pet registration.
- If you are utilizing any vendors, such as pest control or lawn and landscape maintenance, compile a list with their names and phone numbers.
- Read reviews, then create a list of restaurants you want to try.
- Finally, keep a list of all emergency phone numbers you may need, including local doctors, hospitals, fire stations and police phone numbers.
Things You Need to Learn About Your Home
When you are buying a new home, there is important information that you need to take the time to learn about it.
- For starters, you should always find out the location of the water shut off and circuit breaker panel.
- Learn the location of the sprinkler system and how it operates.
- When it comes to your heating and cooling unit, you should learn the furnace restart information, what HVAC filter sizes your unit takes, your thermostat locations and how to operate them.
- If your home comes with a security system, learn how to set it up and how to operate it.
- Finally, if you live in a community with a homeowners association, take the time to read the HOA rules and guidelines so you do not find yourself getting warnings or fines.
Buying a new home can be exciting, but it can also be overwhelming at times. Here at Landmark 24 Homes, we are committed to helping you not only during the homebuying process, but after as well. We can help you locate everything within your home and put together a list of all the important phone numbers and information you need to know when moving into a new home. Contact us today.