Tuesday December 22, 2020
Dec. 15 is National Cupcake Day. More than 770 million of these treats are eaten in the United States every year, as people of all ages and walks of life enjoy these mini cakes in their favorite flavors.
The History of Cupcakes
No one really knows who first invented cupcakes. However, we do know the earliest mention of them comes from a 1796 cookbook that referred to cupcakes as "cakes to be baked in small cups." Cupcakes then went unnoticed until they appeared listed in an 1828 cookbook titled "Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats.”
Cupcakes only became truly popular when Hostess started mass-producing them. Cupcake frosting made its first appearance around this time, but only chocolate or vanilla frosting was used. Malt frosting came into being in the 1940s, followed by the development of the world's first cream-filled cupcakes in 1950.
As cupcake makers became increasingly creative, new flavors and designs came into being. Sprinkles were added, companies experimented with new flavors, and "special edition" cupcakes became treats that no one would want to miss out on.
- "Cupcake recipes" is the fastest-growing recipe search term in Google's search engine.
- The largest cupcake ever made weighed more than 1,200 pounds and had a whopping 2 million calories.
- The world's smallest cupcakes were only 1.5 centimeters tall and 3 centimeters wide.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes was the world's first "cupcake only" bakery. It opened its doors in 2005. At present, there are about 400 cupcake bakeries throughout the United States.
- In times past, cupcakes often weren't baked in muffin trays. Rather, bakers used whatever small cups they had on hand for the job. The finished product was often named after the cup used in the baking process.
You don't have to wait until National Cupcake Day to enjoy these tasty treats. They're great for birthday parties, weddings, and just about any other occasion. They're also an ideal snack to eat on your own.
Would you like to enjoy cupcakes on National Cupcake Day? Savannah is home to amazing cupcake bakeries offering cupcakes in all sizes, flavors, and styles. Our team of experienced, professional real estate agents will help you get set up with the home of your dreams so you can indulge in your favorite cupcake flavors from the comfort of your own home all throughout the year.